A question we hear all the time is, “How do I get my team motivated?” A related question that not enough leaders ask is, “How can I keep from demotivating my team?” Keeping people engaged, coming to work and being excited about getting things done is one of the most common concerns of leaders. This week, we’re talking about how motivation works – get your psych textbooks out and let’s dive in!
We talk about:
• The five levels of motivation (and why most companies spend most of their time working on the 4th and 5th levels)
• Why settings goals is the top tool in your motivation toolbox, and how to help set good ones!
• Stretch goals and how and when to use them
• Building cooperative games vs. competitive games
• The science of reinforcement
• The use of ‘coercive’ power (and when NOT to use it!)
• Expectancy Theory and motivation (The three factors that *have to* be in place to motivate a team!)