Delegation is tough! We talk to leaders every day who want to give their teams the freedom to make decisions, but can’t seem to get to the place where they can hand over that authority. Often, we jump to the conclusion that team members can’t handle the responsibility, when in fact our delegation issue is more of a communication issue.
This week, we’re talking about a really cool model for understanding delegation, built by Leadership Expert Jurgen Appelo. By working to understand and communicate all of the various levels at which we can delegate a task, we can stop carrying every single decision and start handing over authority so we can focus on our own highest value work.
We talk about:
- Why delegation is so hard
- The nuts and bolts description of the Seven Levels model
- Team building activities to start the delegation conversation
- How to diagnose the ‘failing point’ of delegation in your organization
- How to work on learning to delegate, one level at a time
- Seven Levels as a communication tool
- Using the Seven Levels as a spectrum, not a single indicator