We’re back! After a not-so-short unplanned hiatus over the holiday break, we are back in the saddle and turning out episodes again! We’re starting with the single topic we spend the most time addressing in January: Performance Reviews.
Back in Episode 34 we talked about setting up a good system for Performance Management, but this episode is about holding the session itself – what to do, what not to do and how to keep things as productive and positive as possible.
We talk about:
- Review of metrics and measurable goals
- How to handle the first review
- Why the focus needs to stay on the conversation
- The shortcomings of written review systems
- Real time performance management
- How performance management is actually a lot like parenting
- Settings goals for the conversation
- Keeping the conversation productive, as a coach
- Separation (in time) between compensation and performance