In Episode 13, we talked about the difference between Respect, Authority and Deference. Understanding the different elements of ‘Respect’ is only the first part of the puzzle. In this episode, we’re focusing on Authority.
Authority comes from the agreement between the company and the employee, and if it isn’t defined well and supported by the organization, even the best intentions can lead to disappointment.
This week, we focus on looking at the most common manifestations we see every day where Authority breaks down, and some real world applications of what to do next. We’ll cover:
- Structural Failure: This is the failure we see when the Org Chart just isn’t clear enough. People want to succeed, but aren’t sure which directions to follow.
- Lack of Organizational Support: This is the failure that happens when someone wants to follow direction from a supervisor, but doesn’t have the tools or training to do the thing. We often mistake this for someone who ‘won’t listen,’ when the truth is that they can’t ‘listen.’
- Toxic Personality or “Broboss”: We see this when a leader’s personality gets in the way, either by leading in a way that is destructive to relationships or by trying so hard to be a ‘friend’ that there is no clear direction.
- How can we recognize these failings when they occur?
- How do we solve each of these unique problems
- We also talk about our ‘Demo’ companies – the fictional companies that we use to illustrate various scenarios. Watch for more to come about our ‘friends’ at Get ‘R Done Plumbing, Tasmanian Electric, and Precision Software Solutions.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download